Thursday, July 4, 2013

And that's a wrap

As I sit here in the Sydney Airport waiting to board my flight back to LA, a strange feeling has come over me. I find myself at a dead end as how to express all of the overwhelming emotions going through me at this moment. Part of me is excited that I soon get to see my family and friends (and dogs of course), another part is extremely sad knowing that I'm leaving the place that I now call home without any idea of when I'll return, and the last part of me is so happy when I look back at the amazing time I've spent here. The past five months have been the best and most unforgettable of my life and now it seems that they have come to an end. I am so thankful for the experience I have had and all the wonderful people I have met whom I now call family.
The past few weeks have been quite sad as I've watched all of my friends leave one by one, but they've also been full of good dinners, many trips to the harbours, lots of souvenir shopping, and time well spent reminiscing over all of our amazing memories from the past semester.
I've grown so much as a person since I first arrived here. Let me tell you, going to live in a country where not a single person knows your name is not exactly the most comforting idea, however it turned out to be the best thing I could've done for myself. I've opened myself up to new things such as surfing, skydiving, traveling on my own, and eating everything from kangaroo to crocodile. I've hugged a koala, scuba dived in the great barrier reef, seen the tiniest penguins in the world, and I've finally taught myself the right way to look when I cross the street!
I will never ever forget the time I have spent in Sydney--I plan to tell my grandchildren all about it one day. As I'm choking back tears while trying to finish this last blog post, all I can think of is the Winnie the Pooh quote: "How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"
Sydney will forever be my home, and it will always be in my heart.
And that's a wrap.


No comments:

Post a Comment